Thursday, August 20, 2009

Getting Back to One’s Roots

For a while now I've been experimenting with subject matter that lies outside of my happy place. I originally started shooting landscapes as it's a subject that lies near and dear to my heart. But in order to grow as an artist I've been stretching my creative boundaries to portraits, weddings, events, architecture and even encompassing it all through self portraits, which if any of you have tried, shooting one's self , it's one of the most difficult subjects of them all.

So much living outside of the box, I've now almost forgot what it's like to recline inside my landscape comfort zone. This is why I'm really looking forward to next week - a week long camping and exploration trip up through Tobermory and Manitoulin Island. The Bruce Peninsula, located in the heart of a World Biosphere Reserve, the Peninsula is a place of global ecological significance. The massive, rugged cliffs of the park are inhabited by thousand-year-old cedar trees, overhanging the crystal-clear waters of Georgian Bay.

From there we move even further north to the shores of Lake Superior, the largest of the five Great Lakes of North America. The Ojibwe called the lake Gitchigumi, meaning "big water". Where these famous rugged waters have carved out some of Canada's most spectacular wilderness images.

To date, I haven't had the opportunity to shoot this far north, so I'm really hoping I will be able to spiritually detox and get back to my creative artistic roots. Stay tuned – beautiful images soon to be posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment